Donor Bill of Rights
Educate Tanzania, Inc. endorses the Donor Bill of Rights and is committed to maintaining the respect and trust of its donors, prospective donors and the general public.
Philanthropy is based on voluntary action for the common good. It is a tradition of giving and sharing that is primary to the quality of life. To ensure that philanthropy merits the respect and trust of the general public, and that donors and prospective donors can have full confidence in the nonprofit organizations and causes they are asked to support, we declare that all donors have these rights:
- To be informed of the organization's mission, the way it intends to use donated resources, and its capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes.
- To know the identity of those serving on the organization's governing board, and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities.
- To have access to the organization's most recent financial statements.
- To be assured gifts to the organization will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
- To receive appropriate acknowledgment and recognition of all gifts.
- To be assured that information about an organization's donations is handled with respect and confidentiality to the extent provided by law.
- To expect that all relationships with individuals representing organizations of interest to you will be professional in nature.
- To be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of the organization or hired solicitors.
- To have the opportunity to delete your name from mailing lists that an organization intends to share.
- To feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers.
The Donor Bill of Rights was created by the American Association of Fund Raising Counsel (AAFRC), Association for Healthcare Philanthropy (AHP), the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP), and the Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE). It has been endorsed by numerous organizations.