Thank you Dr. Andrew Cesari and Rev Jackson Kanyiginya for agreeing to head to Minnesota in November. Dr. Andrew is the Head, Nyakahanga Hospital. He is also the Chair of the Rural Opportunity Center (ROC) Task Force. Pastor Jackson is the Co-Founder of Bweranyange Girls Secondary School and community leader in the Karagwe District. Both will meet with ETI partners and potential partners as they visit the U.S. in November, 2018. ETI has plans for them to meet with businesses, family foundations, universities, medical professionals, church partners in Wisconsin and Minnesota, and with ETI donors. We have planned an ETI GIVING Day Breakfast that will highlight ROCs and the role of ETI in establishing those. Phase I of the ROCs focuses on food processing, a health post and a tractor and farm implement storage and rental area. There is much to be planned, designed and implemented in Karagwe and our team is up for the challenge.
Nyakahanga Designated District Hospital
The following information is taken from the Evangelical Lutheran Church, Karagwe Diocese (ELCT/KAD) or “KAD” website.
Nyakahanga is a Designated District Hospital, which is owned by this Church-Diocese of Karagwe. The hospital has been on medical services more than 100 years now. For it is a Designated District Hospital, has been providing its services in partnership with government. The government has the obligation to pay staff salaries and make medicines and medical supplies, while Karagwe Diocese is responsible for infrastructure (buildings, vehicles, machinery, etc.)
With treatment, other services offered include: care for the victims of HIV, cervical cancer screening, tuberculosis, maternal and child care .
ELCT/KAD is one of the biggest stake holders in provision of health services in Tanzania. KAD in support of health services owns the following facilities;
•Katenga Dispensary – Ngara
Success / Achievements
The following are some of the achievements by Nyakahanga hospital
• According to the Safe Care International Agency for provision of health services, Nyakahanga has been able to reach the level of two stars by average of 71% while the national average is 38%
• For more than 100 years now, Nyakahanga has been able to provide services
• Maintenance and development of infrastructure
• Financial sustainability
• Internal and external cooperation
• Theatre building for pregnant mothers currently under construction
• Nyakahanga hospital is the only designated hospital that serves two districts namely; Karagwe and Kyerwa
• It is a hospital whereby students from various universities get practical training
• Strengthening cooperation with the government through Public Private Partnership(PPP)
• Institutional capacity building in terms of ;
personnel –training, recruitment, establishment of Allied Health Studies(Cos, Nurse, Lab)
infrastructure- new block with 180 beds capacity, renovation of existing infrastructure
Rev. Jeremiah Rugimbana is the current hospital secretary who officially started his new in March, 2016. Mrs. Jesca Lutahoile is also the current matron of Nyakahanga after the retiring of the former matron. Nyakahanga hospital has a specialist in women’s diseases. Dr. Furaha Kahindo was sent by UEM to work with Karagwe Diocese. She is available on Mondays and Fridays.
Pastor Jackson Kanyigninya (left)Pastor Jackson will also be joining Dr. Andrew in November. Come to the ETI GIVING DAY Breakfast and hear the vision and plans for the Rural Opportunity Centers. Next week’s blog will focus on Pastor Jackson. Stay tuned.